Who We Are
For more than half a century The Friends of the John Dickinson Mansion have provided support for the State of Delaware's efforts to preserve and maintain the boyhood home of John Dickinson, "The Penman of the Revolution." The house was built by Dickinson's father Samuel in 1740 and remained in the family until the twentieth century when it passed through a series of owners. In 1952 the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Delaware purchased the Mansion and gave it to the State. Realizing the amount of work that would be involved in restoring the house, members of the Colonial Dames and other concerned individuals organized and Friends to lend continuing support to the restoration effort, and that support continues into this day.
Click below to see Dr. Jane Calvert's introduction to John Dickinson